Saturday, March 28, 2015

Back on the Water, thank god!

photo courtesy of TPWD
After a month away from home training in the People's Republic of California, I took a much needed fishing trip this weekend. My destination was Lake Walter E. Long, also known as Lake Decker and referred to as Decker more often than not.  I have fished this lake before and had decent success. Walter E. Long is a power plant cooling lake and is known for a healthy black bass and hybrid striper population. I was on this particular lake practicing for the upcoming Kayak Angler Tournament Series (KATS, fishkats.com). After finding some good hiding grounds for bass I decided to troll for a while until I made it to the next destination I liked on my gps. I have never caught a decent sized hybrid striper and I knew that this lake was known for 5+ pounders. I gained some speed tossed out a chrome and black lipless crank and tried to keep a smooth 3 mph. Around 10 mins elapsed and sure enough my Scotty Rocket Launcher struggled to hold onto my rod as that lipless crankbait was engulfed. I could tell that this was a decent sized fish and it was definitely not a bass. Check out the video! I may have to start targeting these guys more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment