Friday, December 19, 2014

Thanksgiving Kayak Fishing 2014 Destin, FL


This was my latest trip while I was on vacation in Destin, Fl for Thanksgiving 2014. It was a chilly 60 something degrees (relax northern folks, I grew up in Ohio and know that's not cold) in the afternoon and the water temps were about the same. I had made plans to meet up with a fellow Yakangler.com member, yak_n_mike, to fish the famous Destin Coast Guard Jetty. This particular piece of water always holds fish and many days you will see boats stacked up anchored all over the place. This day, Mike and I had the place all to ourselves, but unfortunately the fish were not present in massive numbers as usual. We managed to get out around 9 am. Mike in his beautiful brand new yellow 2015 outback drifted the shoreline while I anchored up in 10 feet of water and began casting. I had no success throwing a paddle tail, so I switched up to one of my go to baits, a popping cork with Gulp shrimp in new penny. I began casting that setup and allowing it to drift over by the jetty. Soon, I felt a small tug on the line and I figured I had hit a patch of grass. Again I felt a tug and sensed something was on the end of my line. I had heard of Flounder's light bites, but this was the first time I had experienced it. I set the hook and had a short battle. I was amazed at how strong this little fish was, but I guess when you are shaped like a doormat, it is very hard to pull that kind of body through water. Check out the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment